Join Now: SE3 Long-Term Mentorship Program - Register Now
The SEAONC SE3 Mentorship Sub-Committee is excited to launch our second year of the Long-Term Mentorship Program for 2020-2021! We have just wrapped up our first year of the program with participation from 29 mentors and 60 mentees from firms across the Bay Area. If you are interested in participating for the 2020-2021 year, please read the information below and complete the application by Monday, 6/1.
After consulting with the AIA SF Mentorship committee, we have decided to introduce a new format for this year's program. The AIA SF Mentorship committee has been successfully facilitating long-term mentorship for several years, so we are taking a page from their book (with their encouragement!). The new format is:
- One “seasoned” professional (13+ years of experience)
- One or two mid-level professional(s) (5-12 years of experience)
- One or two entry-level professional(s) (0-4 years of experience)
- The groups are more autonomous. Once the groups are formed, they can decide how often they want to meet, and what the tone and topics of their meetings will be.
- The groups meet more often. We encourage that the groups meet roughly once every other month, but each group can establish its own preference. Also, because the groups are larger, the idea is that it’s okay if some participants are not able to attend every meeting.
- Each group has a liaison. This will be our point person to see how the group is going and what the needs are. The group can decide who should act as liaison.
- The seasoned professional is the “anchor” of the group. The seasoned professional is committed to the group and the success of the program.
- Mentoring is a two-way street. We hope that engineers of all levels of experience will benefit from the group format and that each person can learn from one another.
We ask that you consider the time commitment of the new format in your decision to participate. We are hoping that as a result of having committed participants, each member of the program can gain more from this experience and that all mentorship groups will be successful!
Lastly, we are kicking this program off virtually. While we know this is not ideal in terms of forming groups, we wanted to make these mentoring groups available as a resource as soon as possible during these challenging times. The group matching will be done virtually, through the use of Google Forms - please provide us with as much information as you think necessary to help us form compatible mentorship groups. We also expect that after the groups are formed that the first few meetings will be held virtually until each individual group is comfortable meeting in person.
If you are interested in participating as a mid-level or entry-level professional, please complete this form by 6/1.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.